- In a step towards reducing carbon footprint and ensure energy conservation, the Visakhapatnam Port will be setting up a 10-MW solar power plant here to become the first solar powered port in India.
- The first phase of the solar power plant with a capacity of 2-MW will be commissioned by Jan 15 and the second phase with 8-MW capacity will be completed by March 20, 2016.
- “The 10-MW solar power plant will not only serve the entire power requirements of the port amounting to about 150 lakh units per annum, but also enable the port to divert the surplus power to the State grid,” explained VPT chairman MT Krishna Babu.
- An MoU was signed by the VPT chairman and Noida-based Jakson Engineers Limited general manager C Pradeep Kumar for execution of the project.
- The total cost of the project is Rs 60 crore.