- After announcing highway connectivity to Char Dham in Uttarakhand, Modi government is now planning to build an expressway between New Delhi and Katra , reducing road travel time to 5-6 hours from 11-12 hours.
- This route is the base for pilgrims going to the holy shrine of Vaishno Devi in Jammu & Kashmir.
- This expressway will be the India’s longest expressway of length 600 km and will cost ₹ 15,000 crore
- The expressway would pass through Haryana, Punjab and Jammu & Kashmir.
- Katra, which is at an elevation of 875 metres above sea level, is located 42 km from Jammu.
- The government is working on a land pooling policy for expressway projects.