- 2015 year monsoon could end up as among driest monsoon seasons in three decades with a deficit of 12% to 14%
- Even though the monsoon season started with good rainfall, El Nino phenomenon has disrupted international weather patterns and weakens the monsoon.
- Officials said rainfall will improve to some extent in the coming days in areas of east, northeast, southern states and Maharashtra but northern and western areas will face a dry weather.
- Generally, September rains will provide water to irrigation and ensure soil moisture for winter sown crops such as wheat and mustard.
- If rainfall shortage is 10 per cent or more in a monsoon season, it will be considered as a meteorological drought year.