- Rise in output from exporters like Australia and slowdown in buying from major importers like the United States, China and India had taken the coal prices as low as that of 12 years.
- The fall in coal prices brought down the shares of mining companies like BHP Billiton, Glencore and Rio Tinto and made many financers to exit from the sector.
- Demand for coal got decreased in China because of slow pace in economy growth and its fight against pollution
- In the United States, increasing in natural gas made gas much cheaper and started occupying the market share of Coal. Apart from that the government plans to decrease the coal usage for environmental reasons.
- Improvement in energy efficiency and renewable taking increasing shares of the power mix made flatten the demand for coal in Europe.
- Reuters calculations show that the revenues from selling electricity generated from coal in Germany are around 20 euros per megawatt-hour higher than those produced from natural gas.