The central government has launched 22 new schemes under Digital India initiative to make services accessible to the common people. These new schemes include projects in the areas of digital empowerment, digital infrastructure, on-demand government services and promotion of different industries.
The government plans to provide services online thereby helping people to utilize government benefits hassle free. Also, the government plans to extend internet connectivity to the rural population and increase electronic goods manufacturing in the country.
These new services include but are not limited to-
- Electronic mode of payments for government services,
- A GIS (geographical Information System) based decision supporting system,
- Request for proposal to utilize government cloud service providers for government departments,
- Establishing an online laboratory for students to perform virtual experiments for all CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) schools,
- The incubation of 10 projects in areas of chip-to-system design
- The development of a native operating system which will help text-to-speech technology for nine regional languages
The government has also announced starting of a new data centre for National Informatics Centre (NIC) in Orissa with an investment of Rs. 189 cr. and eight new software technology parks with an investment of Rs. 78 cr.
Minister of Communications and Information Technology Mr. Ravi Shankar Prasad has insisted district magistrates and information officers to cooperate at the ground level to improve e-governance. He also stated that the government is working towards creating digital villages which will have facilities like virtual classes, solar power based Wi-Fi hotspots and telemedicine facilities etc. Measuring the success, IT secretary Mr. J. S. Deepak was quoted saying, “The basic objective should be to scale, because unless services are taken to the masses, digital inclusion will not succeed as asymmetry of information leads to asymmetry of opportunity”. According to him e-governance is probably the best possible way to reach remotest areas of the country.
Source: Live Mint