- On september 19,2015 PM Narendra Modi launched a Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS) of worth 45000 crores
- He said IPDS will strengthen distribution networks and ensure 24X7 power supply to all by 2022.
- This scheme will address issues related to fraud, maintenance of sub-transmission and distribution system, provisioning of solar panels, metering of distribution transformers/feeders/consumer in urban areas and IT enablement of distribution sector.
- He said that the objective of the scheme is to provide 24 X 7 power supply in remote areas of the country by 2022.
- He also announced the establishment of two sub-stations at Varanasi
- Modi also suggested people of Varanasi to use LED lamps replacing incandescent bulbs as they are energy efficient and save thousands of Crores.
- Power Minister Piyush Goyal said that Varanasi was sanctioned additional amount of Rs 550 crore under this scheme