West Bengal Information and Communication Technology Policy, 2012 was implemented with the goal of making the state one of the leaders in IT/ ITeS and ESDM sectors and to transform it into a knowledge-driven welfare society.
- To be in the top three states in India in terms of turnover and employment in IT/ITeS and ESDM sectors by the year 2020
- To create an investor friendly business environment to increase the state’s share in production of electronic goods in India valuing at 15% by 2020.
- To significantly increase human resource in ESDM sector with special focus to post graduate degree holders and also, to produce near about 400 PhDs in the same field by 2020.
- To work in cooperation with the central government as well as with the other states to develop mandatory standards and certification for electronic products/services.
- To develop necessary mechanism for effective e-waste
- Creating 26 IT parks and at least one Incubation center in each district.
- Encouraging ICT activities in Tier-II and Tier-III cities by providing incentives.
- The state plans to set up new Hardware units and to build at least 15 clusters for SME in hardware sectors in the next five years.
- Create Design Centre for assisting in premiere technology institutions.
- Gaming and animation sector has been given special emphasis as special incentives are directing towards it.
- Special focus has been given to Rural IT infrastructure and Rural IT training.
- Venture Capital is directed towards uplifting Local entrepreneurs
- Local manufactures and developers are to be given special preferences in State Government procurement of Hardware and Software.
- The state is providing startups in SME sectors assistance on Lease rental, Power bill, Recruitment and Exhibition expenses.
- Special f0cus to advance Research and Development activities in IT sector by providing reimbursement on patent filing in SME sectors.
- Main focus areas are financial services and banking sector, Insurance, Engineering Design and Life Sciences.
- Capital investment subsidy has been increased for software units and its given on area wise like 10% increase (max ₹2.5 crore) from previous 7.5% (₹ 1.5 crore) in A&B areas, for C areas its 12% (max ₹3.5 crore) from 10%(₹2.5 crore) and lastly for D areas 15% with no maximum payable amount.
- For Hardware sector, limit has been increased to ₹4.5 crore from earlier ₹3.5 crore.
- For Gaming and Animation sector, in A&B areas, subsidy of 12% up to a maximum of ₹3.5 crore is provided for 5 yearly installments, for C&D areas, 15% up to a maximum of ₹4.5 crore is provided for 5 yearly installments.
- For MSME sector, subsidy is provided for filling Patent with 50% reimbursement up to a maximum of ₹ 5 lakh.
For further information visit HERE.