The Enforcement Directorate(ED), which probes financial crimes under two prime laws of the Prevention ofMoney Laundering Act (PMLA) and the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) along with some old cases pending under the repealed Foreign Exchange Regulation Act (FERA) has broken all records of lodging complaints and prosecuting the accused of financial frauds, hawala and money laundering. It is one of the most important departments on the high-powered panel of the SIT
- The ED, under PMLA, freezed assets to the tune of Rs 9,003.26 crore, registered 1,326 PMLA FIRs, arrested 52 people on laundering charges and filed a total of 173 charge sheets during 2014-15.
- It issued a total of 492 attachment orders and got 355 confirmed from the Adjudicating Authority of the PMLA, the first appellate body against an order issued by the ED authority.
Statistics( In comparison to 2013-14)
It is working in full swing this year. As part of its efforts to crack down on illicit funds in India and abroad these are the following results.
- 400 per cent rise in the numbers of assets attached.
- Over 500 per cent increase in the number of criminal FIRs lodged.
- Over 600 per cent more numbers of arrests made of people suspected to be involved in laundering crimes.
- More than 200 per cent jump in the filing of prosecution complaints or charge sheets.
- A rise of 62 per cent hawala and forex violation cases.
- 2000 per cent rise in Penalties imposed
- 3000 per cent rise in filing charge sheets in pending cases.