- The Railways on Friday signed an MoU with the Commerce and Industry Ministry for setting up Railway Design Centre at National Institute of Design(NID) campus in Ahmedabad.
- NID will design coaches, toilets, platform sheds, pantry cars, ladder for upper berths, lighting arrangements at stations and circulating areas to give an aesthetic touch to rail facilities, to make sure the customers have more satisfaction right from purchasing the ticket, coming to platform and boarding the train and then deboarding at the destinations.
- Railways will provide Rs 10 cr fund to NID for the job. There will be a committee of four senior railway officials to monitor the project.
- Last year, NID was declared as an ‘Institute of National Importance’.
- Meanwhile, four new NIDs are coming up at Vijayawada, Jorhat, Kurukshetra and Bhopal.