On 15th August 2020, our Prime Minister announced National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) for India. With a budget of Rs 1600 crore over 5 years, Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission is a Central Sector Scheme under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW). It should be noted that ABDM is a flagship scheme by the government of India to achieve Universal Health Coverage.
What is Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM)?
ABDM is a visionary initiative that comes into play with the National Health Policy 2017. With the aim to digitalize the healthcare system in India, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare formulated the scheme. Not only does it intends to provide the necessary support for the integration of digital health infrastructure but also creates a new ecosystem.
- Most importantly to bridge the existing gap amongst different stakeholders of the Healthcare ecosystem through digital highways.
- Creating a seamless online platform that will enable interoperability within the digital healthcare ecosystem.
- Giving impetus to open and interoperable standards in the digital health ecosystem.
- Moreover, in the process of doing so, significantly improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency of health service delivery overall.
- ensure transparency in the pricing of services in government as well as private hospitals
- accountability for the health services being rendered.
Expected Outcomes of ABDM:
- Health Id: To uniquely identify a person along with their past medical records, Health Id will go a long way. Not only it will standardize the process of identification of an individual but also authenticate them across multiple systems.
- Healthcare Professionals Registry (HPR): HPR aims to prepare a comprehensive repository of all healthcare professionals involved in the delivery of healthcare services across both modern and traditional systems of medicine.
- Health Facility Registry (HFR): HFR aims to prepare a comprehensive repository of health facilities in the country across different systems of medicine.
- Personal Health Records (PHR): PHR will work as an electronic application through which patients can maintain and manage their health information in a private, secure, and confidential environment.
To apply for your Ayushman Bharat Health Account online click here
Recently, the ABDM gave an open invitation to all the interested parties for sharing their Expression of Interest (EoI). This comes as a move by the implementing agency of ABDM i.e. National Health Authority (NHA) towards seeking innovative solutions for building a national digital health ecosystem for India. As a result of this collaborative approach, the speed of the development, as well as the innovative solutions, will increase. However, these solutions will be like a service at no cost to the public and/or private entities.
Click here to visit the official website for ABDM.
As a signatory to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, ABDM meets SDG Goal 3 for India. Furthermore, it adopts the continuum of care approach along with Health and Wellness Centres (HWCs) and Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY). To sum it up, ABDM is based on the foundations laid down by the Jan Dhan, Aadhar, and Mobile (JAM) trinity.