- The Centre has asked its ministries, States and all educational institutions across the country to utilise the space available with them to install rid connected solar rooftop systems.
- The government has set a target of 40,000 MW of grid connected rooftop solar power generation capacity by 2022 under the National Solar Mission.
- Huge rooftop space is available in government buildings..even if a part of this space is utilised for setting up rooftop solar systems, thousands of MW of solar power would be generated.
- The government is providing financial assistance of 15 per cent of the benchmark cost for installation of grid connected rooftop solar system/project on four categories of building–residential, institutional, government and social sector.
- Under residential class, all types of residential buildings are covered. The institutional category cover schools, health institutions including medical colleges and hospitals, educational institution (public & private) and R&D institutes.