- To boost waterways, the government has prepared a Rs 400 crore project under which the centre will provide subsidy of 50 per cent to states to build floating jetties.
- Also, the government has decided to open up seven new major ports in the country, Gadkari said after chairing the sixteenth meeting of Maritime State Development Council (MSDC) at Dona Paula near Panaji in Goa.
- The government has prepared a new scheme worth Rs 400 crore to boost inland waterways. Under the scheme the GOI will give 50 per cent subsidy to states to erect floating jetties while 50 per cent of the cost will have to be borne by the states.
- The government will open a sub centre of Marine University at Ratnagiri in Maharashtra to cater to Goa, Gujarat and Maharashtra, for which JSW has already allotted 200 acres of land.
- In order to increase the share of coastal shipping in modal cargo mix to 10 per cent by 2019-20 and to promote cruise tourism leading to development of coastal regions, the Ministry has prepared a vision for coastal shipping, tourism and regional development in consultation with stakeholders along with an action plan to achieve the objectives.