Indian government has always given special priority to Research and Development in many ways. A special scheme has been launched to give fellowships to hundred best doctoral theses every year titled “Doctoral Research Fellowships’ in the inauguration ceremony of the Indian Science Congress Association in the month of June, 2012.
- The main agenda behind the initiative is to develop a Doctoral Research Scheme under Public-Private-Partnership model to increase trustworthiness in academics and more so in research to improve R&D in India.
- The scheme aims to encourage young and talented scholars to undertake industry-relevant research.
What is the benefit?
- Under this scheme, any full-time PhD scholar can get double the money he/she usually gets for conducting research.
- The maximum government fellowship at any academy or research institute is Rs. 36,400 per month (Approx.) including housing allowance for Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) category. Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research provides fellowship to any intelligent and talented young scholar double the amount of JRF/SRF (of course, as per applicable slabs).
- Government (in this case it will be SERB or Science and Engineering Research Board) provides 50% of the scholarship while a partner company provides the rest 50% which also works closely with the research fellow on the research project.
- If a candidate is selected to receive the PM Fellowship for Doctoral Research, then the candidate cannot receive any other scholarship/fellowship/salary from any other organization or institute.
- Every year up to 100 new Fellowships are provided.
For more details on this scheme click here
How to avail:
The first batch of PM Fellowship Scheme began in the year 2013. So far, 79 fellows have been conferred with this prestigious Scholarship. From September 2014, the application has been made open-ended.
Aspirants can apply via online application any time within 14 months from their PhD registration.
To apply online CLICK HERE
- Last date of Online submission of Application Form- Within 14 months of registration/admission to PhD
- Results announcement- Check website for updates
- Signing of MOUs among selected PhD fellows, Industry and Institutes- Every year by March
- Fellowships Release time- Each year from April on a monthly basis
Pingback: Talented Full-Time PhD Scholar? Get Double The Amount of Your Fellowship Via This Scheme! | Desh Dharam Dosti