The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), serving as the nodal body at the national level, implements the Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP). The State KVIC Directorates, State Khadi and Village Industries Boards (KVIBs), District Industries Centers (DICs), and Banks are responsible for implementing the scheme at the state level. In these circumstances, KVIC directs government assistance through chosen banks for later disbursement to beneficiaries or enterprises straight into their bank accounts.
Objective of the Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme –
- To generate new self-employment ventures, projects, and microbusinesses that will produce ongoing and sustainable job possibilities in both rural and urban sections of the nation.
- To strengthen the capacity of unemployed youth to earn a living wage and to help boost the growth rate of both rural and urban employment
Scope of the Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme-
- The Micro Enterprises sector of all technically and economically feasible initiatives in both rural and urban areas are covered by the scheme.
- Only one member of the household is qualified to receive financial aid under the programme.
- The only projects eligible for assistance under the Scheme are brand-new ones.
- The programme aims to promote business and trading operations as well as the manufacturing sector.
- Businesses and trading activities in the North East Regions (NER), Left Wing Extremist (LWE)-affected areas, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, and retail outlets supported by manufacturing (including processing) / services facilities are eligible for assistance under the programme.
- Operations listed in the negative list, such as those associated to farming (such as goat farming, piggery, poultry farming, etc.) and urban/rural transport activities, will not be eligible for assistance under the programme (except auto Rickshaw, Tourist Boat & House Boat in A & N Islands; Shikara & Tourist Boat in J & K, & Cycle Rickshaw).
Eligibility criteria for the Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme –
- Anyone who is older than 18 years old.
- For projects costing more than Rs. 10 lakh in the manufacturing sector and more than Rs. 5 lakh in the business/service sector, at least a VIII standard pass is required.
- Under PMEGP, only new projects are given consideration for sanction.
- Self-Help Groups, Institutions registered under the Societies Registration Act of 1860, Production Co-operative Societies, Charitable Trusts, and Members of the BPL (if they have not benefited under any other Scheme), are also eligible.
- Existing units (under PMRY, REGP, or any other plan of the Government of India or State Government) and units that have already received government subsidies under any other such programme are NOT eligible.
How to apply for the Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme –
In consultation with KVIB and the Director of Industries of the relevant states (for DICs), the State/Divisional Directors of KVIC will place advertisements locally in print and electronic media inviting applications and project proposals from potential beneficiaries interested in starting an enterprise or providing services under PMEGP.
The applicants can also submit their applications online at https://www.kviconline.gov.in/pmegpeportal/pmegphome/index.jsp. They should print off their applications before submitting them, together with the Detailed Project Report and any other necessary paperwork, to the appropriate offices.