- The department of posts now delivers more than two lakh ecommerce parcels daily, double of what it used to be a year ago.
- Two years ago, the ecommerce revenue was below Rs 200 crore, and it was estimated to be about Rs 400-500 crore in the year ending March 2015.
- All-India revenue from ecommerce is expected to be Rs 900-1,000 crore in FY16 for India Post.
- India’s logistics business is estimated at $100 billion, and India Post is hoping to cater to the growing demand in this sector, especially in tier-II and tier-III cities where the presence of private courier companies is limited.
- The postal department is trying to use its post office network of over 1.5 lakh branches.
- One of the advantages of the department is its huge land bank which is crucial for the logistics business.