- The Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari will be visiting Udhampur to witness the opening of India’s longest road tunnel being built on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway and would reduce the distance between the two cities by 30 kms.
- The NHAI is also constructing a parallel escape tunnel along with the main tunnel for evacuation of commuters in case of eventuality.
- The two tubes of the tunnel will be internally connected through 29 “cross-passages” and the escape tunnel will exclusively be used for pedestrians.
- There is a provision for ventilation keeping in view the distance of the tunnel.
- This state-of-the-art tunnel project will also have parking spots after a specific distance to tow away or shift vehicles in case of a breakdown.