- NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission is a dual frequency (L & S Band) Radar Imaging Satellite.
- In this joint mission, JPL/ NASA will be responsible for design & development of L-band SAR, 12m unfurlable antenna, GPS system and data recorder.
- ISRO will be responsible for design & development of S-band SAR, Spacecraft Bus, data transmission system, Spacecraft integration & testing, launch using GSLV and on-orbit operations.
- The cost of the project comprises of cost of ISROs work share, which is estimated to be Rs 788.00 Cr and cost of JPLs work share, which is expected to be around USD 808 millions.
- Explore newer application areas using L and S band microwave data in natural resources mapping & monitoring
- Estimating agricultural biomass over full duration of crop cycle
- Assessing soil moisture
- Monitoring of floods and oil slicks
- coastal erosion, coastline changes and variation of winds in coastal waters
- Assessment of mangroves