- India’s rural employment guarantee programme MNREGA has been ranked as the world’s largest public works programme, providing social security net to almost 15 per cent of the country’s population.
- India’s Mid-day meal scheme has been classified as biggest school feeding programme benefiting 105 million beneficiaries.
- India is among the five middle-income countries running the world’s largest social safety net programmes.
- The combined spending on social safety nets in 120 developing countries amounted to about USD 329 billion between 2010 and 2014 and over 526 million people.
- The report further stressed on the need to improve the efficiency of social safety net programmes by strengthening countries’ capacity to target, integrate, administer, and evaluate social protection programmes, such as social and beneficiary registries.