Current Policy Updates:
- The Gujarat government is expected to announce a ‘redevelopment policy’ to initiate building of 1 lakh affordable houses in cities like Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Vadodara and Surat.
- The policy primarily aims to build new houses in place of old, again and dilapidated houses built around 15 to 25 years ago in major cities, by the Gujarat Housing Board (GHB)
- Since the policy’s focus is on building new houses in place of existing ones in urban centres, the state government has made provisions to incentivise occupants of these houses, who may have to bear some financial burden to get new homes.
- With Floor Space Index (FSI) limitations being eased, increased number of storeys can be expected.
- Private builders are expected to be roped in under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model along the lines of government’s housing policy launched in 2014.