- UNSC questioned Pakistan’s “sincerity” in the matter of a terrorist’s release.
- In this regard, UN Security Council assured that it will take up the issue of Mumbai terror attack mastermind Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi’s release at its next meeting.
- India conveyed to Pakistan its unhappiness at the way the case was being handled and said they were not providing proper information to their court.
- India’s Ambassador to the UN Asoke Mukerji wrote a letter to the Chair of the UNSC Al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee Ambassador Jim McLay expressing concern over Lakhvi’s release and said it violates the provisions of the committee concerning al-Qaeda and associated individuals and entities.
- The assurance by the UNSC to take up the matter came after this letter.