- Communications minister unveiled new broadband products developed by the government’s telecom research arm, Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DoT), on the launch of Digital India programme.
- C-DoT has developed two WiFi products long distance and solar-powered WiFi to address connectivity issues in rural areas, hilly terrain, highways in dense vegetation and tunnels.
- C-DoT’s long-distance WiFi products could solve the problem of distance, whereas its solar powered WiFi solution would reduce dependence on grid power.
- It has also developed a green power source to make the broadband solution self-sustainable.
- Government is committed to bring all 2.5 lakh villages under broadband services and enhance internet penetration from 300 million to 500 million within two and a half years.