- The largest transport network in the world has just decided to buy insurance cover for its passengers against possible baggage loss, and death.
- State-run New India Assurance is the frontrunner for a tie-up with the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), a unit of the Indian Railways which runs other businesses associated with the railways.
- The sum assured for the personal accident cover could be in the range of Rs 5 lakh to Rs 10 lakh depending on the class of travel. The baggage loss cover would range from Rs 5,000 to Rs 20,000.
- Passengers will have to pay small amount as premium.
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana is the personal accident policy for sum assured of Rs 2 lakh for a nominal amount of Rs 12 a year.
- Life insurance policy, Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana for Rs 2 lakh is available for Rs 330.