Farmers in Karnataka are going to see a big transformation in their livelihoods and agricultural productivity.
Recognizing the potential for a strong collaboration in dryland agriculture long-term partners the Government of Karnataka and International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) along with consortium partners, launched a scheme called Suvarna Krishi Grama Yojane: Transforming agriculture and livelihoods in rural Karnataka (Golden Agriculture Village Scheme).
- Through a new collaborative initiative, 105 villages will be developed as model villages in the first phase and targeted farmers’ incomes will be increased by 20% in one year through augmented productivity, diversification and market linkages.
- In all, 1000 villages will be covered under this scheme.
- The main objective is to transform rural areas by developing an impact oriented participatory model using technologies.
- This model can be scaled up for more integrated and sustainable rural development in the state.
- A comprehensive approach will also be taken by promoting Inclusive Market Oriented Development (IMOD) that links farmers with the markets and builds stable partnerships.
- This new collaboration will take the partnership to a higher level and transform the agricultural sector and livelihoods of Karnataka farmers.
- One of the most important strategies to be adopted for achieving the vision of this new scheme is to undertake science-led and demand driven development of rural areas by adopting the principal of convergence, collective action and capacity building through a consortium approach, where all partners and stakeholders work together.
- .The Government of Karnataka decided to implement the Suvarna Krishi Grama Yojane as indicated in the 2015-16 budget speech of Hon’ble Chief Minister of Karnataka in pilot districts and will be scaled-up in a phased manner.
- The new initiative is expected to provide better livelihoods to thousands living in rural communities in Karnataka through skill development, higher productivity, profitability and increased happiness due to better infrastructure and facilities in their areas.
For Updates Download our App: Click Here.