- Telecom Minister said, “A committee on internet governance was formed under Chairmanship of Finance Minister and has decided India should support a multi-stakeholder approach in matter of Internet governance”.
- The members of the committee include Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu and Prasad.
- The committee thinks that government should have the supreme right and control over the Internet on matter relating to national security, which is also been approved by Prime Minister.
- ICANN, a non-profit organisation incorporated in California, currently coordinates, manages and implements worldwide Internet rules and policies by taking views of global community.
- It has been assigned the task to manage Internet by the US Commerce Department’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) under a contract, which expires on September 30.