- Railway is launching a new scheme on Sunday under which waitlisted passengers can get confirmed accommodation in next alternative train if they opt for the option while booking their tickets online.
- Vikalp, the alternative train accommodation scheme will take off in trains running on Delhi-Lucknow and Delhi-Jammu sectors from November 1, on a pilot basis.
- Vikalp scheme will be available only for the tickets booked through Internet for six months and option will be limited to mail and express trains on the two selected routes.
- Railway aims to achieve the twin objectives of providing confirmed accommodation to waitlisted passengers and ensure optimal utilisation of available accommodation by this scheme.
- As per the scheme, there would be no extra charges taken from the passenger or any refund provided for the difference of fare.
- Passenger, if opts for the Vikalp scheme while booking tickets online, will get SMS alert on their mobile phone about getting confirmed accommodation in alternative train.