- Barak 8 is an upgraded version of the Barak system and is considered to be a major asset for Indian Navy because it adds a potent system designed to destroy any anti-ship missile launched by Pakistani or Chinese navy.
- The missile is being jointly developed by Israel Aerospace Industries, India’s DRDO, Israel’s Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure, Elta Systems, Rafael and other companies.
- The missile system aims to enhance the Navy’s capabilities against incoming missiles, planes and drones.
- It is capable of simultaneously tracking hundreds of airborne targets to a range of more than 250 kilometers.
- Barak 8 can operate day and night, in all weather conditions, and successfully deals with simultaneous threats engagements, even in severe saturation scenarios.
- “The system has a very short reaction time and a fast missile vertical launch capability with 360 degree coverage,” claims Israel Aerospace Industries.
- The test will be conducted against an incoming missile by the Navy and held during the coming monsoon so that actual operating challenge is created.
- Barak 8 provides protection against a variety of aerial platforms and munitions including aircraft, helicopters, unmanned aircraft and sea-skimming missiles.
- It is based on a sophisticated missile, state-of-the-art phased array multi mission radar, two-way data link, and flexible command and control system.
- The system has a multi-mission radar, supporting air defense missions.