Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) is a ground-breaking programme backed by the Department of Science & Technology to create eagerness among young enthusiastic talents to contribute their shares for the growth of Science in India. The realization of Vision 2020 calls for action and a well designed innovation infrastructure and here comes the need for such an attractive science programme like INSPIRE.
The main objective of this programme is to connect with the talented youth of this country in order to strengthen and develop the Science and Technology system and R&D base.
This programme does not believe in conducting competitive public examination to identify talent rather it relies on efficiency of the existing educational structure to identify talents.
The INSPIRE programme has three equally important components. Those are- Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE), Scheme for Early Attraction of Talents for Science (SEATS) and Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC).
Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) – This scheme aims to attract young talented people to take on science as a research area and excel in it. For that, scholarship and extensive monitoring will be provided. This scheme offers 10,000 scholarships per year at a rate of Rs 80,000/- per year for undertaking Bachelors and Masters Degree in natural sciences. The scholarship is provided to young people between age 17 and 22 years. The main agenda of this scheme is to provide mentor-ship support to every scholar as part of the scholarship programme.
Scheme for Early Attraction of Talents for Science (SEATS) – This scheme attracts talented youth to study science. Rs 5000 is given to 10 lakh bright students for a period of 5 years between the age group of 10-15 years as part of the INSPIRE fellowship. Also, as part of this scheme, summer and winter camps will be arranged for top 1% performers in standard X Board examinations across India with global leaders in science and technology to let the experience the joy of innovation. These camps will be held annually as part of the INSPIRE internship programme.
Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC) – This scheme aims to attract, inspire and nurture young talents to boost Research & Development by offering Doctoral INSPIRE fellowship for the age group of 22-32 years in basic and applied sciences, and engineering and medicine. It also offers, assured post doctoral research opportunity for post doctoral researchers through contractual and tenure track position for 5 years in both basic and applied sciences through INSPIRE faculty scheme.
Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE)
• Students who have performed consistently and exceptionally well in academia including their 10+2 Central Boards examination and those who have secured the top 1% place in higher secondary examination, and are pursuing courses in Natural Sciences at the BSC or MSC Integrated level are eligible. The average aggregate of cut-off in the Boards will be derived on the basis of the top 1% marks. Apart from Natural Sciences, any other science is not part of this scheme.
• Students those secured ranks in Joint Entrance Exam of IIT (note that rank should be within 10,000), AIEEE (rank should be within first 20,000) and those students who are clearing CBSE Medical are eligible for this scholarship.
• Students those took admission in Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Department of Atomic Energy-Centre for Basic Sciences (DAE-CBS) at the University of Mumbai or Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), National Talent Search Examination (NTSE), Olympiad Medalists and Jagadish Bose Natural Science Talent Search (JBNSTS), and those opting for natural sciences in BSC or MSC degrees are eligible for SHE scholarship.
Scheme for Early Attraction of Talents for Science (SEATS)
• The students will be selected for INSPIRE internship on the basis of top 1% performance in science stream in class X Boards and response to statement of purposes.
Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC)
• INSPIRE fellowship– The selection is based on screening of the applications by an expert panel followed by the final selection. Only applications considered are from those who have got 1st Rank in M.Sc. in science stream and M. Tech. in applied sciences from universities or academic institutions.
• INSPIRE Faculty Scheme– Selection for this scheme will be based on the research proposal which will be peer-reviewed by an international and national Expert Peer Panel.
How to avail for INSPIRE programme?
Application for 2015 is over. Visit the website for more information regarding next year’s application.