The Sports Authority of India (SAI) was established by the Govt. in 1984 as a Society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, with the twin objective of broad-basing of sports and to achieve excellence at the national and international level. Over the years, SAI has emerged as a field arm of sports of the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports (MYAS).
Aims & Objectives of SAI:
- To promote and broad-base sports in the country.
- To implement schemes/programmes for achieving excellence in sports in different disciplines at international level in order to establish India as a major sporting power.
- To maintain and utilize on behalf of the Govt., stadia which were constructed/renovated for the IXth Asian Games held in 1982.
- To act as an interface between the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports and other agencies concerned with the promotion/ development of sports in the country on the other hand, i.e., State Govt., U.T. Administration, IOA, National Sports Federations, Sports Control Boards, Industrial Houses, etc.
- To establish, run, manage and administer the institutions to produce high caliber coaches, sports scientists and physical education teachers.
- To plan, construct, acquire, develop, take over, mange, maintain and utilize sports infrastructure and facilities in the country.
- To initiate, undertake, sponsor, stimulate and encourage research projects related to various sports sciences for upgradation of sports, sportspersons and coaches.
- Other incidental issues concerning promotion, development and excellence in sports.
Sports Promotional Schemes of SAI:
Apart from the above, the following sports promotional schemes are also being implemented by SAI through its Regional Centres for spotting and nurturing talented children by providing them requisite facilities in terms of sports infrastructure, sports equipment, competition exposure and scientific coaching etc.
- Centres of Excellence Scheme
- SAI Training Centres (STC) Scheme
- Special Area Games (SAG) Scheme
- National Sports Talent Contest (NSTC) Scheme
- Army Boys Sports Companies (ABSC) Scheme
- Come and Play Scheme
Academic Programmes of SAI:
SAI has got two Academic Wings, namely, Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS), Patiala for coaches and the Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education (LNCPE) at Thiruvananthapuram.
Academic Cources at Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS)
- M.Sc. (Sports Coaching)
- (Affiliated with Punjabi University Patiala)
- Post Graduate Diploma In Sports Medicine
- (Affiliated with Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot and recognized by MCI)
- Diploma In Sports Coaching
- (At SAI Centre – Patiala, Bangalore and Kolkata)
- Diploma In Integrated Sports Massage
- (At LNCPE, Thiruvananthapuram)
- Six Week Certificate Courses In Sports Coaching
- Coach Development Programme
- IOC Solidarity Courses In Sport
- Advance Courses For In Service Coaches
- Refresher Course In Sports Coaching
- Sports Massage Course
- Ground Management Course (For Ground Men)
Academics Cources at LNCPE, Thiruvananthapuram
- Master of Physical Education (MPE) (2 years)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Health and Fitness Management (PGDHFM), (1 Year)
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)
For More Information: Click Here