Breaking News
Home / Ministries / External Affairs / Students with F1 Visa will be allowed to work for 6 Years in USA

Students with F1 Visa will be allowed to work for 6 Years in USA


  • Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is considering revising regulations that would allow Foreign Students on F1 visas to work in the United States for upto six years Jobs/Employment under the Optimal Practical Training Program.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training are two employment options available to students on an F1 student visa.
  • OPT is a 12-month period after graduation in which students may work in a field related to their study,and find an H-1B sponsor. Science, technology, engineering and mathematics students are eligible for an additional 17-month extension.
  • CPT allows students to work up to 20 hours a week in a field related to their studies while still attending school.

Changes in Regulation:

  • Allow foreign students with degrees in STEM fields to receive up to two 24-month extensions beyond the original 12-month period provided under OPT regulations; and
  • Authorize foreign graduates of non-STEM U.S. degree programs to receive the 24-month extension of the OPT period, even if the STEM degree upon which the extension is based is an earlier degree and not for the program from which the student is currently.

About Surabhi K

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *