- India is considering a proposal to make it mandatory for the strategic sectors of Defence, Space and Atomic Energy to use ‘Made in India’ chips.
- Government feels that ‘Made in India’ chips and electronics are necessary given that the imported products can be rigged and bugged.
- UPA government had cleared setting up of two semi-conductor fabrication facilities in India in 2013, but the project failed due to lack of direction and high investment.
- Officials have also identified cyber security at a key area where India made chips can be encouraged.
- Government feels local industry needs help in the form of a firm, committed market.