- Raising the pitch for India’s permanent seat in the UN Security Council, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the days of “begging” for it are gone and India has the “right” to be in the powerful world body considering its exceptional contribution to global peace.
- He also asked the world to “recognise” the “immense opportunities” for business in India as he invited investments and technology from across the globe for which he wanted countries to compete.
- India had made lot of sacrifices for world peace since World War I and even after the UN was founded.
- It has been the largest contributor to the peacekeeping forces across the world .
- India has been pitching for a permanent seat in the expanded membership of the UNSC, arguing that the existing body does not truly reflect the contemporary world realities.