- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address a Renewable Energy Roundtable with the US department of commerce and Stanford University on 26 September.
- Solar electricity can only be generated during daytime, and to use it at night, an effective storage solution is required.
- India is fit for solar power generation given that the country receives solar radiation of 5 to 7 (kWh) per sq. m for 300-330 days in a year.
- With India unveiling the world’s most ambitious solar power generation programme, the real game-changer can be a cost-effective battery storage model for Indian conditions.
- With Tesla, headed by Elon Musk, already offering solutions such as Tesla Powerwall – a rechargeable lithium-ion battery designed to store energy at a residential level.
- Tesla Energy is a critical step in this mission to enable zero emission power generation.
- Tesla is amplifying its efforts to accelerate the move away from fossil fuels to a sustainable energy future with Tesla batteries, enabling homes, business, and utilities to store sustainable and renewable energy.
- Experts believe that lithium-ion batteries are expected to be the leading technology for grid-connected, utility-scale systems over the next two-three years, with the grid-connected battery energy storage system market expected to increase from $0.46 billion revenue in 2014 to reach $8.30 billion in 2024.
- In India, renewable energy currently accounts for only 13%, or 36,471 megawatts (MW), of India’s total installed power capacity of 2,75,912MW.