- PM’s speech on the independence day was focused on giving a report card of the first 15 months of his governments, although his comments on corruption and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) registering a record number of cases since May 2014 are significant in the context of the current political climate.
- PM appealed to ex-servicemen to be hopeful on the issue of One Rank One Pension as the talks were still on. The PM assured that his government has accepted OROP in principle.
- He also stressed that the schemes of his government were focussed on the welfare of the poor. He said 17 crore zero balance accounts were opened under the “Jan Dhan Yojana” now has Rs 20,000 crore deposits.
- Modi said 100 million families have enrolled within 100 days of his government’s announcement of social welfare schemes like Jeevan Jyoti insurance.
- Giving stock of the other announcements made last year, the PM said as many as 4.25 lakh toilets have been built in 2.62 lakh schools under the ‘Swachh Bharat’ Abhiyan.
- PM said the Ministry of Agriculture will now also include Farmers’ Welfare, and henceforth called Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- The Prime Minister said his government was looking at systems for enabling start ups. “We must be number one in start ups – ‘start-up India and stand up India’. We will have 1.25 lakh start ups, each giving employment to two-three people.