- Government has placed defence order of Rs 2 lakh crore under buy and Make in India category to boost local manufacturing sector.
- DIPP Joint Secretary Shubhra Singh said that among 25 sectors identified for Make in India campaign, defence and aerospace are being increasingly looked upon as one of the most promising segments to push indigenous manufacturing.
- It is important that the aerospace and defence industry leverage ESDM, Electronic System Design and Manufacturing) policies to drive down operation cost.
- At a sub-system level, the total opportunity for electronics sector that emerges in user service segment is about $58 billion over next 12-15 years considering platform requirements for the user services.
- About 50-53 per cent Defence equipment are being made in India. DRDO production value is around Rs 1.7 lakh crore and our target is to reach 70 per cent of production by 2018.