- 349 Indians on Wednesday reached Djibouti after being evacuated on a Navy vessel from strife-torn Yemen’s Aden city late on Tuesday night.
- Evacuation took place after India got permission to dock its offshore patrol vessel INS Sumitra at the Aden harbour as the government launched a massive air and sea operation, christened “Operation Raahat’, to bring back its over 4,000 nationals in Yemen.
- INS Sumitra, which has been deployed for anti-piracy patrol in the Gulf of Aden since March 11, was the first to undertake evacuation from Yemen.
- The ship was re-deployed off the Port of Aden on March 30 and thereafter entered Aden Harbour.
- The evacuated Indians will be flown to Mumbai in Indian Air Force’s two C17 Globemasters.